Admiralty Armaments Wagon
The Admiralty ran the project to build Peterhead’s harbour. Wagons
similar to this were used to take explosives up to the quarry at Stirlinghill.
This wagon was built in 1913 just before the 1st world war. It has a sliding roof
to allow a battleship’s derrick to lift explosive shells out of the wagon and lower
them into the magazines. Those were the days of the ‘dreadnaughts’, massive
battleships. The historic Battle of Jutland was in 1916. We wonder if some of
the shells were loaded from this wagon.
Most Royal Naval Armaments Depots (RNAD) have railways, either standard
gauge like this wagon or smaller narrow gauge. None-the-less this is a very
small standard gauge “van” - possibly the smallest.
We believe the wagon was probably used at Gosport, beside Portsmouth,
where there was an extensive standard gauge railway.